Virginia’s Chapel Roadside Park by Michael Baker Jr., Inc.
Designed by Michael Baker Jr., Inc., Virginia’s Chapel Roadside Park received a Merit Award in the General Design category for improvements to the historic roadside attraction. Located in Cedar Grove, Virginia’s Chapel, also known as the Little Red Brick Church, was built in 1853 by a local entrepreneur. The chapel, which is located on U.S. 60’s Midland Trail Scenic Highway, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and is currently used for weddings, funerals, and holiday church services. The new roadside park was funded primarily by a Federal Highway Administration Transportation Enhancement Grant, and features porous asphalt pavement, pervious concrete walkways, a bio-retention rain garden, and visitor amenities such as a gazebo, picnic tables, benches, trash receptacles, and interpretive signage.
The awards jury described Virginia’s Chapel Park as providing “strong attention to context and watershed protection.” The judges further “appreciate the effort to restore and preserve the historic landmark and incorporate it into the design” of the park improvements.